VSECU – named, by Vermont Business Magazine, as one of the Best Places to Work in Vermont in 2017, 2018 and 2019 – is a credit union dedicated to improving the quality of life of all Vermonters.
Our vision is to inspire a movement that brings people together to empower the possibilities for greater financial, environmental and social prosperity. To excel at that, we need a precise, analytical Mortgage Closing Specialist to produce high quality, detailed work based on established standards, guidelines and procedures. If our vision makes you smile, inspires you and makes you feel like you could move mountains; we encourage you to consider joining our team!
This position is responsible for seeing mortgage loans through the closing process, as well as monitoring the day-to-day activities in the closing area.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate the scheduling of mortgage loan closings with all parties of the transactions including borrowers, real estate agents and attorneys.
- Ensure that the overall closing process flows efficiently and timely for our members and third-party vendors.
- Act as settlement agent for home equity loan closings, including the coordination and follow-up of disbursements and paperwork and other necessary tasks.
- Execute the set-up of closing documents with specific mortgage loan information while ensuring all documentation is complete and in accordance with compliance and quality control requirements.
- Review documents to ensure commitment conditions have been properly met and that all necessary information is in order for the closing process.
- Work with settlement agents, members and attorneys to rectify any title issues that may arise during the title search process.
- Monitor loan closing schedule to ensure that the needs and expectations of all parties are met in a timely and reasonable manner.
- Facilitate the loan closing process by troubleshooting potential or actual closing barriers.
- Act as a liaison with the settlement agents to communicate Credit Union policy changes and any other pertinent information.
- Recruit settlement agents for new territories as needed, as well as complete the Vendor Due Diligence process prior to onboarding.
- Assist with weekly reconciliation of related Accounting GLs.
- Assign incoming loans to mortgage closing staff while understanding various workloads and skillsets.
- Stay informed about mortgage processing standards, compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Respond to closing related questions from originators, processors and other VSECU staff.
- Assist with training mortgage closing staff on duties related to the closing functions and other aspects of the mortgage process, including compliance, quality control and internal policies and procedures.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines while producing accurate work.
- Ability to stay motivated and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to independently and accurately perform all settlement agent duties for home equity loans, as applicable.
- Competent knowledge and understanding of mortgage lending procedures, regulations, real estate law, mortgage and home equity underwriting, and processing.
- Competent knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office products and financial systems programs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Associates degree in business or a related field preferred with four to six years’ experience in a financial institution or other experience in mortgage processing, or a comparable combination of education and experience.
- Experience and skills related to credit union operations and loan processing, with closing experience required.
VSECU’s normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. Additional overtime hours may be required when loan volumes dictate the need. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, a strong retirement package with matching 401K contributions, tuition reimbursement, paid time off and paid volunteer time.
VSECU is an EOE.