Visit your local VSECU branch on October 19th to celebrate your credit union. Enjoy donuts, cider, apples, and other tasty fall treats and enter to win gifts chosen by your local branch managers.
There are many reasons to celebrate your financial cooperative. Here are just a few:
• Equal Ownership – Credit unions are democratically controlled and member-owned and operated. Each member has equal ownership and one vote, regardless of how much money he or she has in savings.
• Not For Profit – Credit unions are not-for-profit financial cooperatives that provide a safe, convenient place for members to save money and access loans and other financial services at reasonable rates.
• Social Purpose: People Helping People – Credit unions exist to serve their members, not to make a profit. Every member counts, including those of modest means. This “people-first” philosophy impels credit unions and their employees to get involved in their community and support worthwhile causes.
• Volunteer Leadership – Each credit union is governed by a volunteer board of directors elected by and from the credit union’s membership.
• Financial Education for Members – Credit unions place particular importance on educational opportunities for their members and the public to help everyone become better-educated consumers of financial services.
• Trust – Lately credit unions have received positive press for being trustworthy and resilient institutions during a tumultuous time. Credit union members worldwide can be proud of these accomplishments and rest assured that their money is safe at the credit union.