GBICS’ mission is to advance the health of our neighbors by helping them meet their basic human needs including access to food, shelter and healthcare. The COVID-19 pandemic has only made those needs more apparently, and meeting them more urgent. Over the past eight months, we have implemented COVID precautions and adapted our programs, but have managed to keep our core programs operating safely. Hundreds of our Bennington neighbors continue to rely on GBICS for primary medical care, food security, and economic assistance.
• Food for the Kitchen Cupboard food distribution program
• Carts, racks, and lighting for outdoor food distribution during the COVID emergency
• Electric assistance, especially when Green Mountain Power resumes shut-offs for non-payment of arrears
• Heating assistance, when folks have used up their seasonal fuel grants and crisis assists
• Partnering with BROC and other local housing agencies to help with eviction prevention, especially when the eviction moratorium expires, and as the more than 150 households being sheltered in motels by the State of Vermont General Assistance program need assistance moving into permanent housing