Choosing a new financial institution can be tricky. We’ve created a checklist to help navigate the process!
Download the PDF version of our Is It Time to Switch Banks? infographic.
Is it Time to Switch Banks?
A Checklist for Closing Accounts and Starting Over
Why Would You Leave Your Bank?
- Excessive Fees
- No Mobile/Online Service
- Poor Products/Services
- Negative Experiences
How Can You Make the Switch?
- Research Local Credit Unions and Banks Considering:
- Fees, Product Offerings, Customer Service
- Savings Interest Rates, Loan Rates,
- Nearby Branches & ATMs, Online and Mobile Banking
- Community Involvement, Mission, Vision, and Values
- Choose the Best Option
- Open Your New Account
- Leave Money in Your Old Account (To Cover Uncleared Payments)
- Transfer the Rest to Your New Account
- List Services/Automatic Banking Activities, Including:
- Account Alerts, Direct Deposit, Automatic Payments & Transfers, and Overdraft Protection
- Online Banking and Mobile Apps
- Stop Services/Automatic Banking Activities to the Old Account
- Set Up Services/Automatic Banking Activities to the New Account
- Wait for All Payments to Clear the Old Account
- Close the Old Account
- Take Your Remaining Money. You’re Done!
Make Change, Simply by Banking
As a VSECU member, you can do more with your money.