Basic Job Function
The VSECU Credit Analyst will underwrite and analyze all types of commercial and government banking loan applications in accordance with established Credit Union policies and procedures. This position will work closely with the loan officers on new loan requests and the managing of the existing portfolio. In addition, this person will be responsible for semiannual and annual reviews. This person will also be responsible for the analysis of the more complex commercial loan requests and work closely with sales and lending staff to meet members’ needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare spreads of historical and projected financial statement information to be used for commercial and government banking credit analysis.
- Prepare succinct and professionally written credit memos on complex commercial and government banking loan relationships for both new and existing members.
- Make and support lending decisions, ensuring that all loans approved are properly supported with clearly identified repayment sources, are properly structured, are properly documented, and in compliance with established Credit Union policies and procedures.
- Prepare and conduct annual and semi-annual reviews of existing credits according to policy in conjunction with the loan officer of account.
- Assist with development, review and revision of policies and procedures related to commercial and government banking loan products.
- Analyze financials records and follow credit union policies, procedures and government regulations.
- Determine the creditworthiness and merits of the potential loan and prepare financial analysis for business loan officers.
- Assist business loan officers in preparing and presenting loan requests for approval. Interface as needed with the business loan committee for final loan approval.
- Work closely with loan officers to structure loan requests and make recommendation for final approval/denial.
- Review organizational documents, appraisals, surveys and other third party documents to ensure conformity with the credit union standards.
- Assist in identifying and clearing any exceptions within appropriate time periods.
- Review and maintain business loan files in an orderly and complete manner and regularly assess quality control for compliance and completeness in accordance with VSECU, State and Federal banking regulations.
- Maintain service and monitor existing loan portfolio for all covenants’ and conditions.
- Supports quality loan and deposit growth through knowledge of, and adherence to the credit union’s policies and procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of and adherence to all VSECU business lending and services policies, procedures and guidelines, including State and federal banking regulations.
- Prepare and present any reports related to business loan portfolio.
- Maintain business loan software knowledge, including changes and new product implementation; work with the VSECU IS department as needed to address software issues.
- Stay informed about the business loan, products and services market and other credit union industry trends, products and services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education/Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Minimum of three years of loan experience, including financial statement and credit analysis experience in a banking environment.
- Solid knowledge about credit union or bank loan and deposit products and services.
- Familiarity with loan applications, processing and closing procedures with loan software experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of commercial and government banking financial analysis and accounting principles, and an awareness of all legal and financial aspects for commercial and government banking loans. Thorough working knowledge of Credit Union’s underwriting guidelines for all types of loans. Strong working knowledge of financial software. Familiarity with SBA programs and guidelines.
- Thorough working knowledge of all applicable lending regulations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to work with a wide variety of members, business professionals involved with lending and product and service vendors as well as VSECU staff in all departments.
- Motivation and drive to carefully, accurately, and courteously serve VSECU business members to build business relationships.
- Competent knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office products and financial systems programs.
- Ability to set priorities and organize time to meet deadlines. Flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as to participate as a team member. Willingness to teach and mentor others.
- Proven record of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Professional attitude and appearance at all times.
This position requires sitting for long periods of time and working primarily at a desk working on a computer performing standard keyboard functions, requiring repeat motion. Travel to member businesses and other locations may also be required. A valid Vermont driver’s license is required. Stretching breaks are required to avoid injury.